Last month Judy L.’s challenge number was #6. On my list in that position was my Japanese Jigsaw (pattern by Tracy Brookshire). It had the most to go as in stage wise. All I had done was cut the 9” blocks into quarters and then put it away.
I managed to get the top done (which is all I am requiring of myself for Judy’s challenge) at a bee in January. I dug out a coordinating jelly roll and made the back for it a little later.
Yesterday, after spending a week organizing & cleaning my sewing room, I was messing around and decided to baste it. I figured, at least I would be one step closer to finishing it. The binding was already prepped; I had it prepped for a while.
I first basted it just putting it on the table. it was such a small quilt, I figured I didn’t need my boards to baste it. Yea. The back was wonky and puckered. I thought for about half a minute that I could just do anyway because no one would see the back. I changed my mind.
I went into the garage and dug out my boards. I am very glad I did. It now looks great on the front and back. I just did a basic meander, but the star is the top, not the quilting on this one. It also went from an awkward-sized wall-hanging to a reversible runner.
Shock among shocks, I even hand sewed the binding down.