Most of the time, my daughter eats a school lunch. Not only is it a hot lunch, I usually can’t buy a variety of foods for the small price that it is for her to eat lunch at school. Also, she gets a variety of local foods that I don’t even have a clue how to make.
Occasionally though, there are just foods that she can’t stand (ie fish or Portuguese sausage) for lunch. She asks for a home lunch then. I usually ask for a week notice for those days so can buy lunch stuff at the grocery store. She did have a lunch bag at the beginning of the school year, but I think she lost it.
I didn’t have interfacing, so I used some Soft & Stable for the bag body. I also thought it would give an added layer of insulation to help keep things a bit cooler. For the interfacing in the rim and the handles, I used fusible fleece. For all the projects that I have noticed that I want to make lately, I am going to have to just break down and buy a bunch of different interfacings. This worked though and I used what I had on hand and did not go out and buy more stuff.
Now the confession:
This bag was to be for me originally. I have been trying to be good lately and not eat fast food. This was to help when I went to go to bees and workshops. When I looked at Happy Zombie’s pictures, I got it in my head that there was an outer pocket on the bag. So when I saw the directions didn’t have one, I added one. But I forgot to take into consideration the amount that was getting turned under with the “boxing” of the corners. So when I saw the “error” I figured my daughter needed a new lunch bag and finished the bag for her. Now I could have just thrown it aside and it would have become a UFO. But I repurposed and then immediately found another recipient for it.
Then when hers was done, I went to making mine:
Back (with larger pocket):
Here they are side by side:
Back (with pocket comparison)