Sometimes, things do not go exactly as you planned. While I have been working away trying to finish my quilts for the upcoming quilt show, I ran into a problem. No fabric for my binding for the last quilt I am completing.
Part of the reason was that I mis-cut the border fabric that I had originally intended to use leaving me with way less fabric than I needed. I had the bright idea to use this tutorial to bind – since it required smaller cuts of the binding fabric. I thought I had enough of the accent fabric left from the quilt to complete the look.
As I drag the fabric out, I notice the cuts of the fabric would not be conducive to binding fabric – too many seams – most of them were only 6” x 5” pieces of fabric. Oh boy. What do I do? The accent fabric is a hand dye that I made a while back. I don’t think I can duplicate it because it was fire red dye over dyed with Chinese red. I then go to my stash of dyes and find out I have NO Chinese Red dye! OH NO!
I have only until Tuesday to complete this quilt; there is no time to order more dye and get this completed. I prepare some fabric in my soda ash solution and hope for the best. I know I can’t duplicate the color because I just dumped the rest of my Fire Red (about a tablespoon and a half) and about a half tablespoon of Fuscia. At the last minute I decided to add some Golden Yellow (the Chinese Red is an orange-red). I think I usesd maybe a quarter teaspoon of it.
Here it is fresh out of the dryer! Trust me – the photo does not do it justice. It is still a tad bit damp for one and the red is a bit harder to photograph.