Sarah’s Revival Block 3

Just a quick post to say I’ve gotten block 3 completed. 


block 3

I am still learning my way around  my phone.  I ended up trading my droid incredible in for a Samsung Galaxy 3. They gave us 14 days for a one time trade in with no penalty.  I am glad I did it, I am much happier with the galaxy!

Sarah’s Revival Block 2


This week’s BOM Rehab is my block two for Sarah’s Revival.  I got it done early in the week, which was good since I was in a class all day Tuesday – Friday.  No, not a fun quilting class, but a class that my husband had to take that as a spouse, I could take as well; military retirement.  Basically, a class to teach him what benefits that are available and possibly available to him upon retirement from the military.   They encourage spouses to attend so that if we have questions, we can ask.  Also, it seems that with the amount of information available, the military may not remember everything.  For me this means we are within a year of military retirement.  We are able to take the class again within the six months mark.

Back to the block I did for this week’s Sarah’s Revival quilt.



In other news, I got a new phone.  I no longer have an iPhone.  Last week when we were in our classes, the Verizon store was nearby and we walked in to see what was available.  We walked out with new phones.  They gave us a really nice amount for our iPhones – basically enough to buy the phones and some accessories.  I am now sporting a Droid Incredible.  The above photo was taken with my phone camera – an 8 mp camera with a nice lens. 

Why Yes, I am Crazy!

My friend, JoAnne showed us a project she was working on before she left and I fell in love with it.  I became obsessed with it and then just bit the bullet and joined the block of the month (it is more like four blocks in a month – so I will be perpetually behind for a long time!).  Because I joined late, I was shipped both months one and two – so I started off behind – a very good candidate for BOM REHAB!

They ship the pattern and the red fabrics, and you supply the backing or purchase it from them.  One of the backing choices was Moda Bella Snow… something I generally keep on hand in my stash anyway.  I try to keep about 3 yards each of Snow, Ivory, and Bleached White in my stash.  I happened to pull out Ivory because it was the one that was labeled (so that I knew exactly which one I was using to order more since it requires nearly 9 yards of fabric for the background)


I followed JoAnne’s tips she showed us at the last bee she was able to go to (the one that convinced me to order the BOM though I am very new to applique) and prepped my backgrounds and back-basted the red on the top and even started to applique it down.  I hated the red fabric.  It frayed, badly and for a new appliquér – it was not a good situation.  That night as I lay in bed, I was thinking a nice batik would be good and I even got up the next morning to look for batiks online.  But I really didn’t want to spend any more on the fabric for this quilt, I was already spending enough!  I happened to remember, I have 3 yards this great extra wide batik batik that I knew would be enough to make the quilt top and then some.  I bought it from a friend’s wholesale fabric party and she ended up washing it before I got it because it stunk badly.  I really don’t like to prewash my fabrics so I had just put it aside and forgot about it.  It is a great blue/teal/purple batik.

Block One

Here is my block one.  Yes, I am definitely new at applique and you can tell.  But I figure that I will never learn unless I don’t just jump in there and do it.  Most of the applique is practice, practice, practice.  If I get better as I go along, then I may redo some of the earlier blocks – I may not.  Considering just 6 short months ago, I had no clue how to applique, I feel I am doing pretty good.

Block One–2012 Designer Mystery

This week morning, I managed to work on my Designer Mystery 2012 Block one Block.  This was such a beautiful, but simple block.  I love the lines in it. And look ma!  My points are perfect!  Despite the numerous flying geese. 



I did something unthinkable, I used pins to hold my squares in place.  Maybe there is something to using pins (on occasion).

So now I am officially caught up with this BOM project.  I vow that I will try my best to keep caught up on this project.  I may not get the blocks done the first week they come out, but at least try really hard to get the block done before the next one comes out.

Snowmen in the Summer

Block one of Merry Merry Snowmen is done finally. I still have to put the button eyes on the two snowmen and put the lettering on the sign. I am waiting until my embroidery skills are a bit better before I attempt that though.

I do think that the next ones will go a bit faster since I am getting less intimidated by the appliqué. I have the pieced backgrounds done on the next four blocks and the bottom layers of appliqué basted on them.