Pattern: Japanese Jigsaw by Tracy Brookshire
Size: 24″ x 43″
Methods of Construction: Machine Piecing, Machine Quilting.
Fabrics used: At Water’s Edge by Blackbird Designs for Moda Fabrics
Completed February 2011
This reversible table runner was made after attending a lecture the guild had with Tracy Brookshire. She had a very interesting slide show of her work and of a quilt show in Japan.
Tracy was selling patterns and templates for the Japanese Jigsaw. I had seen several guild member’s quilts at shows and decided I wanted to make one.
At the time I bought the pattern, I had joined “Layer Cake of the Month” and “Jelly Roll of the Month” clubs from The Fat Quarter Shop. I received a Layer Cake (Forty 10” squares) and a Jelly Roll (Forty 2.5” by the width of fabric) of the same fabric line – this was the only time that both were received in the same month.
The pattern called to have 9” squares cut into quarters. I figured a layer cake would be optimal for the pattern. I set out to make the pattern. I laid the squares out on my design board in a pleasing manner, but forgot to number them when I took them down to work on something else. I then put away the project for a while.
The backing was made with the matching jelly roll strips to make it a reversible table runner.
Last month Judy L.’s challenge number was #6. On my list in that position was my Japanese Jigsaw (pattern by Tracy Brookshire). It had the most to go as in stage wise. All I had done was cut the 9” blocks into quarters and then put it away.
I managed to get the top done (which is all I am requiring of myself for Judy’s challenge) at a bee in January. I dug out a coordinating jelly roll and made the back for it a little later.
Yesterday, after spending a week organizing & cleaning my sewing room, I was messing around and decided to baste it. I figured, at least I would be one step closer to finishing it. The binding was already prepped; I had it prepped for a while.
I first basted it just putting it on the table. it was such a small quilt, I figured I didn’t need my boards to baste it. Yea. The back was wonky and puckered. I thought for about half a minute that I could just do anyway because no one would see the back. I changed my mind.
I went into the garage and dug out my boards. I am very glad I did. It now looks great on the front and back. I just did a basic meander, but the star is the top, not the quilting on this one. It also went from an awkward-sized wall-hanging to a reversible runner.
Shock among shocks, I even hand sewed the binding down.
She chose #6, which for me is Japanese Jigsaw. This is the one that I have the most work to do. Here are the fabrics that I am using. I had laid them out in this configuration, but I never numbered them, so I doubt if they will stay this way.
So to complete this UFO, I need to do the following:
- Lay the blocks out in a pleasing manner.
- Make the blocks.
- Put the blocks together.
- Put borders on.
- Piece the back.
Since this one was only supposed go to “flimsy” stage, that is where it may or may not end. I will start on this later this week when the kids go back to school.