“Step 1”

I had thought I wanted to start the “Easy Street” Mystery and even got step one completed.  I started step 2 and before long, I had all of the flying geese for that step done.  Little did I know… they were all too little!!  Frustrated, I decided to chuck the idea of the mystery.  I didn’t have enough fabrics anyway so it was probably best that I didn’t continue.  But what to do with all of the step one units that were good?

Make a “Step 1” Quilt top of course!

CIMG2076

I will be giving it along with 8 of my other tops to a long-armer from my quilt guild to go to a charity of her choice (she is providing batting, and most of the backing and binding – and doing the quilting).  I asked for one stipulation, that photos of the completed quilts be taken before they were sent off and sent back to me. These tops are ones that I made to try a technique, show a demo of the technique, or just don’t want any more for one reason or another.

Here are the other tops going:

Step it Up
Braid
Cheap Sunglasses
Pink Lemonade
Split 9 Patch
Blue and Yellow
Fall’s New Hope
Patriotic Quilt

SO 9 quilts off my “UFO list” !  WOOT!

Tsunami Quilts–The End?

(pt 6)

I was having a hard time coming up with block patterns, so I decided to go with a few classics:

Friendship Star:

CIMG1176CIMG1148

Churn Dash:

CIMG1185CIMG1182CIMG1149

and finally Ohio Star… but I didn’t remember that the center block was supposed to be the same as the star points, so they are something different…

CIMG1164CIMG1162

and that concludes all 50 of the tsunami quilts that I made.

The obsession is over… or is it?  Yes… it is… for now!

Tsunami Quilts– And it Still Continues

(pt 5)

I was running out of ideas for simpler blocks.

Back to Pinterest.  I had pinned a block that I wanted to try.  It looked simple.  I drafted it into EQ to get the size I needed.

I made one block and discovered I could get one block out of 4” of two different fabrics.  So I made a few of these – they were fast, simple, and looked great.

CIMG1179CIMG1175CIMG1168CIMG1166CIMG1147

I think that I could have made the rest of them like this… but it felt like “cheating” to me by making multiples of one block.  Don’t ask me what I was thinking.  I only made five total.

__

Another pinterest pinned block I drafted:

CIMG1144

I loved doing this one.  The problem with this one was I didn’t have a lot of fabrics that coordinated 5 different prints/solids.  I would have made more of these.

__

Another pinterest pinned block I did was this one:

CIMG1177

I drafted it at 7” because I thought it would be easier than figuring out what would fit a 12” block.  I added borders and called it done.  I would have made more of these, but again, I didn’t have the fabrics in three values of a color.

This brings my total up to 43.  7 more to get to 50.  I was seriously running out of ideas for blocks…

Tsunami Quilts–Continuing With the Obsession

(pt 4)

I had 30 quilts done and quilted (just not bound yet) and decided that 50 sounded like a better number.  That was only 20 more quilts.  I got to 30 so quick that I didn’t think 20 more would be so bad.

Looking back, what I didn’t take into consideration when I made that decision was the fact that 17 blocks were already done and the remaining seven were already cut.

But I was obsessed.  I couldn’t fall short of my goal.  I had a purpose.  It seems when I have a purpose to what I am doing, I can complete my goals easier.  That will be something I apply to my goals for next month.

Ok.  Now what to do for the remaining 20 quilts.  I didn’t want to go too elaborate, because, as I said, I didn’t want to fall short of my goal – that would be failure on my part in my mind.

So the first few were simple and left over fabrics from the Jelly Roll Sampler.  I just took leftover Jelly Roll strips and did a stitch and flip.  I planned it on the diagonal, so that the smaller strips were on the outside and then I just trimmed the blocks down.

CIMG1155CIMG1154CIMG1153

CIMG1151

 

Great… That was four blocks that were quick.  I still had scraps leftover, but not enough to make more of the strip quilts.  Hmmm… What to do.

I had seen on pinterest about the disappearing 16 patch.  I figured it was as good a time to do it as any.  I made one try – it yielded two blocks. They were tiny.  Much tinier than I needed… (but I was using 2 1/2” squares.  So I added borders.

 

CIMG1156CIMG1158

Six more blocks down and I could use up the fabric I really didn’t like.  SCORE!

Total quilts now: 36

Tsunami Quilts–The Obsession Continues

(pt 3)

Bolstered by the fact that I knocked a UFO off so quickly, I decided to do that to my March UFO (#8).  The blocks were already done.  I couldn’t come up with a setting – the whole reason it was a UFO to begin with.  So why not just quilt them and be done with my March UFO?

Done!  Something knocked off my list and given to a good cause! I was rocking with the “high” of those things.

Here they are:

CIMG1216CIMG1210CIMG1209CIMG1208CIMG1207CIMG1204CIMG1203CIMG1201CIMG1200CIMG1198CIMG1194CIMG1188

These were made several years ago and my piecing has improved a lot since then. 

Again.  I could have stopped here.  This gave me 30 quilts that I could turn in at the March guild meeting.  That would have been awesome right there.  6 would have been great.  18, marvelous. 30… awesome.

Sometimes… I see my O.C.D. coming from a mile away.  This time, it hit me upside the head and kept at it.  I was obsessed and on a mission to get to 50. Don’t ask me why. 50 sounded like a nice round number. I was insane and crazy and obsessed.  More obsession to come…