First off – I want to thank Sinta and Sherri for hosting this (and I am sorry I am late posting!!)
This month was a “little bite” and it is called “Drop”.
When I saw the pattern I fell in love with the version with cornerstones and knew exactly what fabric I would use for it:
This was my first ever charm square pack I bought. Remember when they came in the collectable tins with patterns to make a small quilt? I have held on to this charm pack for years (at least 6) waiting for the perfect project to come along for it.
I made a test block – and boy was it tiny!! But I persevered and completed all my blocks:
Don’t they look gorgeous all stacked up there?
Here is the quilt:
Like last month’s quilt, I changed up the pattern a bit. Last month I made it smaller, this month I made it bigger. I couldn’t decide between several of the fabrics, so I chose 35 instead of 25. I also added a micro-flange (it finishes at 1/8” sticking out) to give it a bit more pop of red. I was happy that I had a little bit of the Sanctuary yardage still. I will bind it in that green print so that it is not distracting from the flange that gives it that pop of red.
Before we went camping, the guild’s annual potluck, auction, and installation of new officer’s meeting happened. At this meeting we say goodbye to the old officers (I was the Vice President for the past two years). One of the traditions of the guild is to make a quilt top for the out-going president. As Vice President, it was my duty to choose a pattern, arrange for every member to have access to the pattern, and arrange the assembly of the top.
I chose this pattern from Paper Panache. Though there were complaints that the pattern was too hard, it was the simpler of the two that I had narrowed down my choices to. I contacted Paper Panache and she generously allowed me to make enough copies to distribute to those who do not have printer/computer access in our guild.
Here is my block:
yes, you see right… no lime green in this block!
Here is the completed top when we gave it to her:
Some of the ladies put buttons, etc on the blocks and it turned out so great!
I have been “trying” to be good and use up my stash. Here are a couple of projects that I completed this week using what I had – meaning I didn’t buy anything special to complete the project – the fabric was already in my sewing room long before the idea came to me.
This is a friendship braid that I made using the tutorial from Missouri Quilt Co. using the binding tool for a template. That was fun and fast. Though I used more than 70 different fabrics in the quilt, it only used a 2.5″ x wof strip of each fabric. I will quilt it and send it in for next year’s ALS quilts.
Here are a couple of pillowcases I made for my neighbor’s daughters. One is three and the other is 13, I am sure you can figure which one is for which girl. This was for a “thank you” for watching my kids so I could go to the last Tuesday bee my friend JoAnne was able to attend.
it was quite nice to use up some stash, though not as much as I had hoped!
Here is my completed top for the Designer Mystery 2011. I changed the setting a bit.
Yesterday, Carrie of Miss Rosie’s Quilt Co. gave everyone a free pattern of “Leap Year” for those who have participated in this year’s “Another Year of Schnibbles” (THANK YOU CARRIE!!). It doesn’t even release for the general public until Wednesday for PDF and a couple of weeks in print.
I decided to make one in pink and one in green (yes two of them) because there are two little girls next door that will be moving away next month. They are sisters that play with my daughter all the time. One’s favorite color is pink and the other is green.
They are cute and they were fast. They were also made from stash. This may end up being my “go to” baby quilt when I need one in a hurry, I will just add a couple of more rows
I really should have been working on other things than making two new quilts, but I couldn’t resist these.